What you need to know before you apply
If you can provide evidence that you're suffering or likely to suffer significant financial hardship, you may be able to withdraw some of your KiwiSaver savings. You’ll also need to provide proof that you’ve explored all other reasonable alternative sources of funding as part of your application.
Significant financial hardship includes if you're:
- unable to meet minimum living expenses
- unable to meet mortgage repayments on the home you live in, resulting in your mortgage provider enforcing the mortgage on your property
- unable to pay rent/board payments
- modifying your home to meet special needs because of you or a dependent family member having a disability
- paying for medical treatment if you or a dependent family member:
- become ill
- have an injury, or requires palliative care
- suffer from a serious illness
- incurring funeral costs if a dependent family member dies.
Before you apply, have you considered:
How much can you apply for?
You can apply to withdraw all your funds less government contributions (formerly MTCs) and kickstart (if applicable). The Supervisor of the Nikko AM KiwiSaver Scheme is responsible for approving your application and will determine the amount you require to relieve your hardship. This amount will likely be sufficient to cover a shortfall in your minimum living expenses for three months, and an amount to pay overdue bills or arrears.
If you think you’re eligible for a KiwiSaver Hardship withdrawal you, need to:
- Complete all parts of the application form
- Provide all of the supporting documents listed in the checklist
- Complete the statutory declaration have this witnessed by a person authorised to take Statutory Declarations
- Provide certified copies of proof of your identity and address
We will check your application and supporting documents and will then contact you if we require any further information. We won’t be able to assess your application until we receive all the information requested.
We’ll then assess your application and send it to the Supervisor for a final decision.
To apply, please complete an application.